Taking your vehicle to the EU by ferry

Taking your vehicle on the ferry to France, the Netherlands or Spain gives you the freedom to travel around, discover more remote places and experience the destination at your own pace. It also gives you the opportunity to bring the luggage and sports equipment that you want and to stock up on local delicacies before retuning home.

With the UKs exit from the EU there are a few things to consider when taking your vehicle into the European Union. UK Motorists driving their own vehicle to Europe on the ferry need to carry:

  • their valid UK driving licence
  • proof of valid motor insurance
  • their vehicle log book (V5C)
  • display a UK sticker on the vehicle

You will need to display a UK sticker on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has:

  • A GB identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)
  • A Euro symbol
  • A national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • No flag or identifier at all – numbers and letters only

If you have a GB sticker on the vehicle, you’ll need to cover or remove it. You’ll need to display a UK sticker if you are driving in Spain, regardless of your number plate. You do not need the UK sticket for driving in Ireland.

Full information on driving in Europe is available at

International Driving Permits

You do not need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein. But you might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have:
– A paper driving license
– A license that was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man
Check the requirements with the embassy of the country you will be driving in.

Check here if you need an IDP.

You will not need an IDP to drive when visiting Ireland if you have a UK driving license.

You can get an IDP over the counter at the Post Office. An IDP costs £5.50 and drivers must:
– Be a resident of Great Britain or Northern Ireland
– Have a full UK driving license
– Be 18 or over

Back to top