Travel Information

How to travel by ferry


  • How do I get the best price?

    To get the best price for your ferry journey we recommend booking early and travelling off-peak.

    If you want to travel during peak holiday periods then consider sailing during early morning or later at night as tickets for these times tend to be cheaper.

  • How far in advance of my crossing do I need to arrive at the port?

    This will depend where you are sailing to and how you are travelling and varies per operator.

    There will be different check in times for foot, vehicle and Rail and Sail passengers. Check in times will be included in your booking information and on the ferry operator’s website.

    If you are travelling to the EU you may need to allow additional time for passport control during peak periods.  And if you are travelling with your pet you will need to allow extra time for their documentation to be reviewed.

  • Do different vessels have different facilities?

    Yes. Different vessels even within the same operator’s fleet will have varying facilities on board. Before you book check which vessel on your route of choice will best suit your needs and book that ship.

  • How much luggage can I take?

    When travelling with your own vehicle there is no limit on the amount of luggage you can carry in it.

    If you are travelling as a foot passenger some operators will have restrictions on the amount of luggage you can bring, but generally if you are able to carry it you can bring it along. Check the operators’ website for details.

  • Can I access Wi-Fi on a ferry?

    A large number of ferries offer free Wi-Fi on board for surfing the internet, emailing and social media usage. On some services it’s also possible upgrade to a higher speed internet connection for a small fee. On more remote ferry services it is not always possible to have an internet connection.

  • Are ferries equipped for disabled passengers?

    Of course! Modern ferries have been designed or adapted to suit the needs of disabled or passengers with reduced mobility, however some sailings have a restriction on the number of wheelchairs that can be taken. If you have specific requirements, check with the ferry company that you plan to sail with.

    Find out more about Accessible-travel

  • Do ferries accept electric vehicles on board?

    Electric vehicles are accepted on board ferries that carry vehicles. In addition e-bikes and some classes of mobility scooters may be accepted on  passenger services. Please check with the ferry operator as they may need to approve your mobility scooter for travel in advance.

    If you are wanting to transport an e-scooter please check with the operator as policies differ.

  • Has the ferry industry assessed the carriage of electric vehicles on ferries?

    Yes. The safety of passengers and crew is the number one priority for ferry operators.  The ferry industry has undertaken thorough independent research on the carriage of electric vehicles, such as the LashFire study, and assessment is ongoing. The UK Chamber of Shipping has also been working with its members to produce clear guidance for the industry. Furthermore crews all attend safety training that is regularly refreshed to deal with emerging scenarios.

  • What is the ETS or Emissions Trading System? What does it mean for passengers?

    The European Union’s Emission Trading System (ETS) was created in 2005 to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and tackle climate change. It aims to encourage a switch from fossil fuels to greener alternatives by imposing a levy on carbon outputs and includes sectors such as power generation, heavy industry and aviation. Funds from the levies are then used for investment in green technology. 

    From 1 January 2024, the EU’s ETS will also apply to emissions from all large ships that enter EU ports. This includes ships transporting freight and/or passengers that are above 5,000 gross tonnage and applies to all commercial ferries that travel to France, The Netherlands, The Republic of Ireland and Spain.

    The UK Emissions Trading Scheme (UK ETS) replaced the UK’s participation in the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS) on 1 January 2021. The UK ETS will be expanded to include shipping within the next few years.

    While travelling by ferry is one of the most energy-efficient modes of transport, the ferry sector is committed to becoming fully sustainable. UK passenger ferry operators are already investing in more environmentally sustainable ships such as hybrid electric ferries, fully electric and methanol-powered ships which will reduce emissions and carbon use. They are also working with marine life charities such as ORCA to monitor and support biodiversity and the health of our oceans. Part of their efforts include participating in carbon offset programmes, which passengers can also contribute to.

    Individual operators will manage the additional costs of ETS differently. There may be a small surcharge on your ticket for the ETS which shares the responsibility of our carbon footprint at sea. You can find out more about individual ferry operators’ environmental activity here or access specific information on their company website.

  • Who do I contact if I have a dispute with a ferry operator?

    In the first instance you should contact the ferry operator and try to resolve your dispute directly with them.

    Please note that Discover Ferries does not have regulatory authority over ferry members. In cases where passengers have a dispute regarding Ferry Travel Passenger Rights, we recommend contacting the below organisations:

    ABTA is the Voluntary Complaints Handling Body for ferry services from England & Wales
    Transport for Scotland for ferry services from Scotland
    The Consumer Council for ferry services from Northern Ireland

    For England and Wales ferry passengers (excluding services operated, contracted and / or licensed by Transport for London) –
    ABTA Ltd
    Address: 30 Park Street, London, SE1 9EQ

    For Scotland -Transport for Scotland (Scottish Government)

    For Northern Ireland – Consumer Council for Northern Ireland
    Address: The Consumer Council, Elizabeth House, 116 Holywood Road, Belfast BT4 1NY
    Telephone: 0800 121 6022, Text phone: 028 9067 2488

EU documentation & customs allowances

What documents do I need to enter the EU and what customs allowances are there?


  • Is my current passport valid for travel to Europe?

    Pre-EU exit red European passports issued to British citizens will continue to be valid for up to ten years (for an adult) from its original issue date, or five years for a child.

    British travellers need to check their passport is less than 10 years old on the date they plan to enter the EU and has at least three months validity when they return from the last country visited in the Schengen Area.

  • Do I need a visa to travel to the EU?

    No, not for your holiday or a short break. UK passport holders do not need a visa to travel to the EU for stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. The same applies vice versa: holders of Irish and EU member state passports will not need a visa to travel to the UK.

    From 2024 citizens of visa-free countries (including the UK) entering the EU will need to apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) visa-waiver, similar to the ESTA needed to enter the US. The ETIAS will cost €7 and will be valid for 3 years allowing travel within the EU for up to 90 days in 180 days. The exact date of implementation is still to be confirmed. More information on the ETIAS can be found here.

    You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel. Check the travel advice for each country you’re visiting for more information.

  • What is the EU biometric entry/ exit system?

    The purpose of the  EU Entry / Exit System (EES) is to automatically register visitors from the UK and other non-EU countries when entering and exiting the EU.

    The new system will register a visitor’s passport and biometric data, in the form of finger prints and a facial image, and will digitally track the number of days non-EU visitors stay in the bloc.

    The new system is due to launch at EU borders from 6 October 2024.

  • What is ETIAS and when do I need to apply for one?

    The European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is a largely automated IT system created to identify security, irregular migration or high epidemic risks posed by visa-exempt visitors travelling to the EU Schengen States. Non-EU nationals, including UK nationals, do not need a visa to travel to the Schengen area but from 2025 will have to apply for a travel authorisation through the ETIAS online system prior to their trip. The ETIAS travel authorisation will be a mandatory pre-condition for entry to the Schengen States. It will be checked together with the travel documents by the border guards when crossing the EU border.

    The ETIAS will cost €7 for all applicants aged 18-70. It will be valid for 3 years for stays of up to 90 days in 180 days.

    It is expected that the ETIAS system will be introduced in the first half of 2025, though the exact date has not yet been announced. More information on the ETIAS can be found here.

  • Can I still use my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

    The UK EHIC card will continue to be valid for emergency medical care in an EU country until its expiry date and that EU citizens’ EHIC cards will continue to be valid for emergency healthcare in the UK. The UK government has introduced a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to replace the EHIC. Once your EHIC expires, you can apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), free of charge, online at

    If you are travelling to Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland, your card may not be valid. You should get appropriate travel insurance which covers your health needs. A UK passport can be used to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway. Read more travel advice information.

    EHICs and GHICs are not an alternative to travel insurance. Full information on getting the right travel insurance is available at

  • Can I take advantage of Duty-Free shopping?

    Yes, if you are travelling from the UK to an EU country or vice versa you can take advantage of duty-free and tax-free shopping on board your ferry.

    Your “duty-free allowance” is what you can bring into the country through Customs without having to declare it or pay any duty or tax.  You do not need to buy the items in a duty-free shop: you are free to buy the items wherever you wish: in a duty-free shop on board the ferry, or in your favourite hypermarket (or vineyard or distillery!) inland.

Driving in Europe


  • Do I need a UK sticker on my vehicle?

    Yes. You need a UK sticker to take your vehicle to France, Spain or the Netherlands. The UK sticker has replaced the GB sticker which must be removed.

    You do not need a UK sticker to take your vehicle to Ireland.

  • Will my European driving insurance continue to be valid?

    We advise people travelling to Europe in their own vehicles to check with their motor insurance providers to ensure the validity of their policy for driving in EU countries. You will need to carry valid insurance documents with you while abroad.

    Click here for more information on driving abroad.

  • Do I need a motor insurance green card?

    No. UK Motorists driving their own vehicle to Europe do not need to obtain a motor insurance green card.

  • If I am towing a trailer or caravan, do I need a separate green card?

    No, not for taking a caravan or trailer to the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, Serbia, or Switzerland. If you are planning to drive elsewhere in Euorpe you will need a separate green card.

    You need to register some commercial and non-commercial trailers before towing them to or through most EU and EEA countries. Find out more about trailer registration.

Travelling with your dog, cat or ferret


  • Can I travel on the ferry with a pet?

    Yes, and ferries are a particularly pet-friendly means of transport often offering dedicated facilities for pet owners such as pet lounges, kennels, and pet-friendly cabins.

    Ferry operators usually accept dogs, cats and ferrets on board. Please check with individual operators for which other pets they will accept.

  • What do I need to do to take my pet to the EU or Northern Ireland?

    You will need to contact your vet at least one month before your travel date to ensure that your pet has had the correct vaccinations and you have the right documentation.

    On 1 January 2021, Great Britain became a Part 2 listed third country in the EU Pet Travel Scheme, this means that when taking your pet or assistance dog to the EU or Northern Ireland:

    • they must be microchipped
    • they must have had up-to-date rabies vaccinations at least 21 days before travel
    • dogs have had tapeworm treatment if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta
    • you must obtain an animal health certificate(AHC) from an official vet 10 days before travel. This is valid for 4 months for a single trip to the EU / Northern Ireland
    • you must enter the EU / Northern Ireland* through a designated Traveller’s Point of Entry(TPE), where your pet will be checked.

    There is no change to the pet travel health requirements for entry into Great Britain, Great Britain continues to accept EU pet passports.

    Detailed guidance from the Government on pet travel can be found here.

    Click here for our advice on travelling safely with your dog.

    *There are no checks on pets arriving into Northern Ireland from Great Britain, but if you are travelling into the Republic of Ireland your pet must have the AHC.

  • Can I book my pet cat into a kennel on a ferry?

    Yes, cats are accepted in on-board kennels. These must be booked in advance.

  • If I am travelling as a foot passenger, where can I travel with my dog

    Foot passengers can travel with their dogs within the British Isles, to Ireland, France and The Netherlands.

    The facilities available to foot passengers vary per route and some routes only allow passengers with a vehicle to travel with a pet.

    To travel to France from England as a foot passenger you need to book your dog into a kennel in advance on the DFDS route between Newhaven to Dieppe.

Back to top