Travelling as a family inevitably raises lots of questions, from the where, to the what, to the how – but families don’t need to dread the journey. Ferry travel offers certain benefits for a family holiday that are enviable to the rest of the transport industry, such as the ease of packing up the car with kids, baggage, even pets and simply setting off with the freedom of the road ahead.
The benefits don’t end there though as the on-board ferry experience is a delight for both adults and kids alike. Ferries now boast great facilities including a la carte restaurants, VIP lounges and bars, cinemas, kid zones, games areas and discounted shopping. Plenty then, to keep kids entertained instead of strapping them to a seat on a plane and hoping for the best. The family holiday starts the moment you step on board.
With over 75+ routes around the UK to hundreds of destinations, a family holiday by car and ferry makes a pleasant alternative to the well-worn flight paths, from the excitement of the open road to the diverse array of destinations to explore, and all within touching distance.
There are always plenty of offers available to families thinking about travelling by ferry, some recent examples include:
- Brittany Ferries May Bank Holiday offer – family of four, four night stay in France from £73pp including travel and accommodation. brittany-ferries.co.uk/offers/self-catering-holidays/chalet-camping-may-half-term
- P&O Ferries – save 25% on night sailings, book a trip of more than five days and travel on a night sailing and save 25% with this fantastic offer between Dover and Calais using code NIGHT. poferries.com/en/dover-calais/offers/night-sailing-offer?promotion=NIGHT
- DFDS – book a family holiday to Centre Parcs Europe direct through DFDS and save £25 using discount code 8117 outside of school holidays and 8234 during. dfdsseaways.co.uk/holidays/family-favourites
- Stena Line – infants under three years old travel on Stena Line’s Harwich to Hook of Holland route for free. stenaline.co.uk/ferry-to-holland/offers/infants-travel-free-to-holland
- Red Funnel has multiple family days out offers to the Isle of Wight including on-island attractions. redfunnel.co.uk/familydays
- Wightlink – family day trip tickets to the Isle of Wightfrom £38.60. wightlink.co.uk/offer/family-day-trip-tickets/
- Isle of Man Steam Packet Company – Kids Go Free offer, car plus 2 people from £114 each way and up to 3 kids free during midweek. http://bit.ly/1VzZ3gB
- Irish Ferries is offering free places for children on all self-drive journeys between the UK and Ireland. Ideal for May half term families can bring up to six kids in a car or people-carrier. They must book by 17 May to take advantage of this offer. irishferries.com
- Isles of Scilly Steamship Group – Family day trip offer from £79 return for up to two adults and three children. islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/scillonian-family-day-trips/
For more information on destinations, routes, offers and operators see www.discoverferries.com.